Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Modern Films With Magic Costume

I decided to do some research into the type of costume a 'Magician' would wear before I make the final decision on the costumes for the magicians in my film. I've taken inspiration from mostly modern films to draw my conclusion on. The films selected are solely films that have a magic theme running through them.

The Joker
The first film I naturally looked at was Batman, both the older version and the newer version not much has changed in the style of costume and has kept very in tone with the comic book design. Classic purple velour suit, which is interesting as I'm aware joel has a costume where he went as the joke so  it's definitely something to keep in mind.







Harry Potter
Harry Potter has been of great influence to me so far especially as the production designer for all of the films was Stuart Craig who I quoted from in an earlier post and have taken much influence from through reading a segment in the book, 'Production Design & Art Direction' by Peter Ettedgui. Here again this is a modern day type of film and we're still seeing the same flamboyant clothing we have come to expect from a Harry Potter film along with the addition of capes.





Oz The Great And Powerful
This is a very new film that has only come out this year and when I watched it, I immediately envisioned our main character dressed like this with maybe a bit more colour to exacerbate his eccentricity that Christi plans the character to be.



The Prestige
And finally a little less know film called The Prestige starring Hugh Jackman as the main character trying to come up with the best trick. Very much like the the film above I have the exact same feeling with the costume in this film. I feel there needs to be a more vibrant colour palette and a more dishevelled look to the main magician due to his personality and something maybe a bit more reserved for the apprentice.








No comments:

Post a Comment